Friday, June 27, 2008

FAITH AND TRUST ON YOUR PATH TO INNER PEACE







Doubt is a pain too lonely to know that faith is his twin brother. ~Kahlil Gibran

Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. And lo, no one was there. ~Author Unknown


These quotes give me great comfort today. We've talked to a few of the world's finest neurosurgeons and it looks as if my beloved father will be having surgery to remove part of his brain tumor sometime in the near future. A part of me is scared and doubtful, but a larger part of me has complete faith and trusts that everything is unfolding in perfect order. During times of darkness and uncertainty, I remind myself and others about all of the wonderful things that exist that we cannot see with our eyes. For example, I cannot see the electricity flowing through my home, but I faithfully pay my utility bills each month. Even though I can't see the radio waves, I trust that when I push a certain button in in my car, the music will start. What helps you to have faith and trust in the universe?

Speaking of comfort, here is one of Chef Hugo's healthier comfort food alternatives for you.




Super Skinny Sweet Potato Pie

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/3 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup organic honey
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
dash allspice
3 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup evaporated skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups sweet potato, cooked, skin removed and mashed


1. In medium bowl, combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. Gradually add skim milk and oil to mixture.

2. Stir until well blended. Form pastry into smooth ball.

3. Roll pastry roll between 2 12 inch squares of waxed paper using short quick strokes until pastry is completely flattened over wax paper.

4. Peel off top layer of wax paper and invert crust into pie plate. Preheat oven to 350F.

5. To make filling:

6. Combine honey and dark brown sugar in large bowl.

7. Gradually add evaporated skim milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice and vanilla. Stir well.

8. Add sweet potatoes. Thoroughly combine.

9. Pour mixture into pie shell.

10. Bake pie for 55 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Serve.


Yield: 16 servings

Per Serving : 118 Calories; 3g Fat (21.7%calories from fat); 3g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 40mg Cholesterol; 92mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

No comments: