Wednesday, June 25, 2008

LETTING GO OF PERFECTIONISM ON YOUR PATH TO INNER PEACE


Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. ~Henry van Dyke


When you aim for perfection, you discover it's a moving target. ~George Fisher


These quotes really speak to me today."It's perfect!" My two year old daughter exclaimed today after studying a drawing she created in art class. A part of me delighted in her present-centered joy and self -esteem. Another part of me cringed as I wondered if she knows the meaning of the word "perfect" at such a tender age. For many of us , perfectionism is a tool we use to postpone our dreams and procrastinate. Many people I talk to are waiting for those "perfect" conditions to start a diet, find a mate or change careers. Time and experience have taught me that conditions are rarely perfect for beginning any endeavor. As a working mom, I have no desire or time for the old perfectionism that I used to embrace. Sometimes I overcook dinner, don chipped nail polish or leave the house with my hair disheveled. My new goal is to see the perfection in every day, instead of trying to make every day perfect.


How do you define perfect?

No comments: